Let’s Save That Christmas Money!!
Now with the holidays approaching rapidly, the last thing you want to see is a high water bill. Here are Empire’s reasons as to why your bill may be high:
1) Bad wasting habits: Around the cold weather months everyone wants a long hot shower. However, a shower less than 7 minutes can result in 1,000 gallons of water savings every month. - Keeping water running when washing dishes, brushing teeth, shaving or even thawing food can rack up easily. -Using washing machines for half or quarter loads, as opposed to waiting for full laundry loads.
2) Leaky/ running toilet: A running or leaking toilet can waste up to 200 gallons of water a day. Majority of the time these leaks can be caused by a faulty flapper in the toilet tank. Make sure to listen out for any hissing sounds.
3) Leaky faucet/ fixtures: A leaky faucet that drips at the rate of one drip per second can waste more than 3,000 gallons per year. This problem is easy to fix and detect. Weekly checks on faucets, shower heads and other fixtures is vital.
4) Water Main Leak: A water main leak in your front yard consisting of wet spots, pools of water on the ground, sinkholes, rust or dirt in your water supply. If you are witnessing any of these issues shut off your water main and call a plumber as quickly as possible.
5) Lateral Line Leak: In few cases one of the underground pipes feeding water from your metered connection to your home you may have a loose joint or crack. The cause may vary, however pipe age, root intrusion and animal activity are main factors. These leaks are more severe resulting in much higher water consumption.
Contact Empire Water Main & Sewer for all your plumbing needs (718)715-4862!!